With thanks to Lewis Brown a local chef who worked closely with us developing new recipes using our products. Go and give his Instagram and follow for more delicious recipes! @chef_lewis_brown
Why not excite your palate with a homemade Red Onion and Goat’s Cheese Tart and Strawberry Vinegar Salad. Sweet red onion relish and creamy goats cheese encased in shortcrust pastry made from scratch. A little effort but worth it. Served with an exciting strawberry vinegar rocket salad, this dish makes a great summer dish or light lunch.
Note from the chef
Note: Make sure to rest the pastry in the tart case before cooking as this helps it retain its shape and reduce shrinking.
Makes 6 tarts | 50 Minutes
225g plain flour
Fresh thyme leaves
2-3 tbsp cold water
Boddington’s Berries Red Onion Relish
Boddington's Berries Strawberry Vinegar
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4.
2. Firstly, make the pastry. Add the leaves from the thyme to a bowl with the salt, flour, and butter. Rub the mixture until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add 2-3 tbsp of cold water and mix, until the mixture forms a dough.
3. Wrap the dough in clingfilm and place it in the fridge to rest for 20 minutes.
4. Once ready, roll the pastry to the thickness of a pound coin. Cut out a circle slightly bigger than the tart cases.
Place the circles of pastry into the cases and prick the base with a fork. Bake for 15-17 minutes at 180°C until the bases are golden.
5. Once cooked remove from the cases and leave to cool.
6. Put the walnuts onto a tray and roast for 3-5 minutes with salt, pepper, and a tbsp of oil.
7. Spoon some Boddington’s Berries Red Onion Relish into the tartlets and sprinkle with goat’s cheese.
8. Return the tarts to the oven for 5 minutes (until the cheese has melted).
9. Pour some Boddington’s Berries Strawberry Vinegar into a bowl along with some broken up walnuts, season with sea salt. Add the rocket leaves and toss gently to cover.
10. To serve, gently remove the tarts from their cases and place them onto a plate. Add a generous handful of the Strawberry Vinegar salad and enjoy!